Thursday, June 03, 2010

Recipe time!

Hi, I'm Carin Lilly, a member of Open Heart farm for the past few years, which has been great. Heirloom tomatoes, anyone?  Anyhow, at the end of last year I mentioned to Josh that I thought it would be fun to email out recipes along with the list of the following week's veggies, and he followed up on that conversation... 

And, so, now, that is what I'm doing, and I'm excited for the season to begin!  I am positive that there are many of you who are much more seasoned in the kitchen than me, and may have tons of wonderful recipes (No pressure on me whatsoever. Nope.)  My goal is to just make it a tiny bit easier to use up some of the veggies we get each week in a yummy way by eliminating the step of searching for a suitable recipe.  I will be gleaning from Alice Waters and Deborah Madison, my favorite ladies, some Asian cuisine cookbooks, and my own stash of recipes from who knows where, as well as some internet sites...  

So, without further ado, 
Next week's veggies and recipe:
Spinach
2 heads of lettuce
Radishes
Napa cabbage
and a potted herb 

Napa cabbage slaw with buttermilk/blue cheese dressing:
(adapted from Epicurious.com)
1/2 cup frothy buttermilk
2 tbs mayo (try olive oil if mayo is not something you're interested in)
2 tbs cider vinegar
2 tbs shallot (or onion and garlic if you don't have it)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbs finely chopped chives
4 cups Napa cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
6 radishes, diced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced

Whisk together buttermilk, mayo, cider vinegar, shallot, sugar, blue cheese, salt and pepper until sugar has dissolved, then add chives.

Toss cabbage, radishes and celery with dressing.   And enjoy!

Oh, and also, I'm in charge of planning a potluck party... We were thinking late summer, early fall.  Stayed tuned for details as they figure themselves out.  That's it for now. Happy eating local food!  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home