Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tomatos

So, tomatoes are one of the crops that differentiate us from other farms.  I seeded our tomatoes (and peppers and eggplant) yesterday, and we I did 27 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.  I'm pretty excited by this year's mix: it's about 50% old ones that are basically essential for me (like jaune flamme, eva purple ball, sungold, brandywine), and half new or returning gems, alot from Baker Creek Seeds, like Chalk's Early and Yellow Mortgage Lifter (Yes, Tomatoes have great names).  Some of them may not even look that different, I'm realizing as I look at the pics, but they all have their distinct time of the season and taste.

It sounds like it's going to warm up to the extreme, like 70 degrees later in the week.  It will be a good week for starting to prepare the ground, and probably by the beginning of the week after that we will be putting a few things in the ground.  As they say in Cote d'Ivoire, "On Va Voir."

If you are interested in getting a farm share this year, here is the brochure.  We may soon have an online payment system in place, no promises though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home