Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's Melting!


I was going to write this blog entry entitled "Inside / Outside" as exemplified by the two pictures here. Both taken the same day I think. One, our lush looking first table in greenhouse number 10 down in the Intervale, and the other, the sunny but still tundra-like trail to same greenhouse. And for poetic sake mirrored in my still feeling the distance between my three-month stint at TDBanknorth, in the Williston Wireroom, and my blank slate start here in the first week of full time farm work, but alas, before I could capture the poetic sentiment, it's down the drain, literally. It's Melting!

Not to ramble too much about those "hmm" moments of the blogosphere but can I say I'm always amazed when I walk by a drain in town and hear the water going down it and then see how much snow is left and I'm like, "That water is flowing more or less constantly, it must really add up."

And it does. Which is why I'm probably not the only farmer constantly checking the levels of the Winooski, hoping for no flood, or at least an early one, as opposed to last year's in June. If you are interested in keeping vigil w/r/t/ the river just bookmark the National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service. Hydrologic is definitely a ten cent word, not sure it's in the dictionary though.

So my new poetic sentiment (for this week) is that this year is going to be one more of melt/meld, whether one wants to call it whole living, a meeting of the tribes, general fluidness with and between things, or something else neat.

In strictly farm news: I seeded the beets today (one of the crops Rachel and I are going for major expansion of this year), and lots of brocolli tomorrow. We are planning to create more early variety in our CSA share this year.* If you are wondering how, when, and why different seeds get done on different days, look for future posts.


*For more info on the CSA, look at the post below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home