Saturday, December 16, 2006

you know you like pictures of squash when . . . .



you have to name the file squash9.jpg, which is what I had to do for this basket of what remains of the openheart farm squash. It's nice for us to have somethings left in the new year to eat, both to eat and to not have to buy. My silver lining in the weather (doesn't everyone have one?) is going down to the field today and probably fining more broccolis and cauliflowers that have had the time and temp to grow, along with still living mustard and kale probably. If we were to plan based on this weather we could have set up an acre of greens that could just sit there and live and wed go out and cut them twice a week, tho as stated in earlier posts, that might not be enough to live on, because you also need people to buy it.

I am currently working at TDBanknorth, expose to follow, I'm still processing the vast amounts of raw data that flow through my tiny little section of what is the Wire Room (wires seem a theme about now, the Who's Endless Wire album - isn't that evidence enough?) - there is certainly data to cull for NPRish stories of money moving to China and even light industrial esque rooms of women (all besides myself) semi-toiling, here mostly mental non-rest guilt over taking breaks, um, but I said that was to follow. Because also today Rachel and I plan to sort the books of Open Heart at least to the extent where we can see what really worked for us monetarily and not. Other intervale farmers have really encouraged us to do this. I will admit I feel (out of laziness - I can hardly believe that!) that I have some basic senses of what did the best. Our plan pre looking is to stream line quite a bit into tomatoes and CSA. Now that I say it a bit like Maggies Tomatoe Patch, which might not be the best omen, it died, but that isn't failure now is it. the only thing that would potentially surprise us I think (hence guessing away some of the surprise) is that greens made us more money than we think at healthy living. They could well tally low, though I think the lettuce and other stuff was a boon at farmers markets.

All this thought is revving up for the next step which is seed picking, which is also likely when the blogging will start to pick up, after all its 100% possibilities then.

For now I'm definitely enjoying Rachel's and my winter Projects, some of which include starting to read Rememberance of things past, shooting an ethnography of traveling, making flyers, working on the next distribution of Chocolate Feathers . . . got your curiosity up?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to Pink Clouds? He was a like Golden Smog (the character not the band) to the agricultural. His existence has been retroactively purged (airbrushed out like a disgraced cosmonaut). Will be missed.
Signed Anonymous James

2:00 AM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Josh May said...

it's true, and let it be noted in the margins of, uh, history, that pink clouds, james brown, and that president died recently. Pink clouds was many faceted, and perhaps we best leave it at that. Very capable, we'll leave it at that. I totally understand your fears of history being erased, it seems as if we finally got to that point where it's not a stretch to imagine [I'll note here histories end clearly wasn't caused by democracy everywhere but rather it's disaperance, maybe democracy (among things even) was dialectic enough to keep it going but oh well, new things.] long live pink clouds

8:01 AM, December 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home