Sunday, February 20, 2011

Golden Beets

I've had two potlucks in the past two weeks and I've made almost the exact same thing - golden beets with Italian dressing and either goat cheese or feta.  People who know me know this is kinda standard for me.  Find a simple way to cook the veg and stick with it (which is also why we have to have a working member who will supply a little more variation with weekly recipes on the blog.  Only so many times people want to hear me say garlic olive oil and sea salt.)  I love this dish for lots of reasons.  I mean, look at that color, it's like sunshine in a bowl.  This time of year it cheers me up just to look at, and I was pleased our beets were so vibrant so close to March.  We had some roasted rutabaga that was also still looking great.  The carrots are starting to have little hairy roots on them, but everything else looks great in the cooler.  I think that can be corrected by putting the carrots in bags next year instead of crates which retain too much moisture.  Still have a nice chunk of potatoes.

But, back to the golden beets:  if you haven't had this kind of beet before it's a little sweeter than the red, or as I often say, "less earthy."  the taste is more a straight sweetness, and so balances really well with salad dressings.  I think something about its consistency lends itself to boiling rather than roasting, but I'm happy to hear comments on that cause it's just my hunch.  Anyways, a great beet all the year round.

This same week that I made them twice I got a call from someone interested in joining our CSA for this year specifically wondering whether we grow them.  Happily, I said yes.

As far as farm work goes I am making the last preparations before going into the greenhouse.  And our subscription rate is at a good clip this year.  I am actually anticipating a lot of new interest in CSAs in general.  Another wave.  It seems like a tipping point or whatever you call it: lots of media stories, Peter Shumlin goal of a lot more grown here by whatever year.  That's our governor saying eat local and I get the sense lots of people are listening.  In fact, if you are looking for our brochure for this year, check out the post below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home