Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thank yous and Farm news

The season is underway, with our first pick up having taken place on Monday. It went really well, we were so happy to meet all our new members and it was really nice to see the returning ones. It was like, "Oh, there really is this continuing relationship that is involving us the people, the land, and Modern Life." Our Old north end drop off is on Thursday, and I'm sure will be just as exciting.

The season is SO underway that it already seems vastly different than last year. I know it's not history yet, but I'm prepared to say that farming is much easier sans floods. It also seems like Rachel and I learned a few things both in general and particular to Vermont Farming that have helped. Without going into all of them I'll just say "Rows!"

We have also started having our help from our working share folk, who are one of these factors in the much improved cleanliness of Open Heart. I hope they are enjoying it - Rachel and I also enjoy the company, nice to talk to someone for whom radish germination isn't the only thing on their mind.

I know I've thanked the Hainses once for truck donation but I ride in it every day so I thought I'd thank them once more for Creampuff, and take this opportunity to officially name the cherry tomato row, the Seth, Shana, and James Haines Cherry Tomato Row. Other Rows are named the Beefy and Leslie Brandywine row, for their service to us last year, and the Ara Hacopian Heirloom row, for his struggles in them a few years past. Want a row named after you? It's easy, come on down to OHF and weed away!

Oh, another thanks goes to Digger's Mirth, of the Intervale, for donating to us an Earthway seeder. If you have read the blog (or if you haven't just look back a few posts), it is one of the two tools that I thought would be pretty important to us this year. We had been borrowing one from Half Pint (Thanks!) - Now we can seed at a moments notice. Carrots anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home