Monday, February 13, 2006

things going on

so, while ive been working at vermont teddy bear, which I am off to do one last time, other things have been going on pretty farm related, which I am going to relate to you.

Rachel and I went to the Nofa VT conference (for info on the org as a whole check link off to the side there), and it was pretty fun, altho we had to be off for our respective jobs before the second half of the day started. I went to a biodiesel thing, how to make it. The keynote speaker (forget his name but editor of . . . oh I remember) James Kunstler, painted a gloomy picture not to be saved by french fry oil but rather by farmers as hall monitors. That's right: contra dancing enforced for the rest of you (while I hopefully get to sit by the lemonade and brownies and make sure there isn't too much public smooching). Anyways, even the biodiesel guy adminted that as this becomes popular the cost will quickly equal that of reg fuel, tho still i guess have the environmental benefits which isn't bad if even only usable in pockets hey what's wrong with that. And Rachels session was about bees that aren't honey bees which maybe she'll tell you more about but sounded like she enjoyed and was cool. The food, as at any event like this, was to die for. In this case made potluck style. I limited myself to 2 and thirds deserts. Lots of the intervale farmers were there. People were talking to each other. We met a few of them.

Oh there are other things like our first meeting wiht a grocery store buyer. Its a whole world out there in the food industry, but I'll get back to it tomorrow cause its to the world of teddy bears for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, all of a sudden last week on late nite cable TV, i saw several ads for Vermont Teddy Bear, Inc. I hadn't heard of em before, but now I know they're all handmade in the U.S.--maybe even in Vermont, huh? Also there are many varieties of TBs with their own clothing, accessories, nomenclature.
I guess it reassuring to think that some stuffed toys (albeit essentially unneeded and useless) are still made in the U.S.

11:08 AM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home