Friday, August 13, 2010

Abundance: canning and freezing, flatbread and zucchini caponata


Enjoying the abundance?  I am.  Although, it can be overwhelming, as well as our intentions of what to do with all of it.  As in, canning, etc.  But, I know with a little extra effort, in the middle of the winter, I will be thanking myself... as well as Josh, because, if anyone desires more tomatoes, we can contact him and get them for 1.50$ a pound!  Nice, eh?  So, just drop him (not me :), I just am the recipe girl) an email at openheartfarm@yahoo.com.

So, the little extra effort.  First of all:  Tomatoes can just go into the freezer in a freezer bag, whole.  Then throw them in soups or sauces or whatever.  Not too much effort, if you have the space and no desire to can.  And second and third: tomato sauce and salsa recipes.  Both could also go into the freezer, or canned.

Tomato Sauce
from Alice Waters Art of Simple Food

Peel, seed, and dice 2 lbs ripe tomatoes.
Save the juice, strain out the seeds and add juice to tomatoes.
Peel and smash 5 garlic cloves
Add garlic to 1/4 of olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
When garlic sizzles, add tomatoes in juice with a large pinch of salt.

Cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.  Pass through a food mill for a smooth sauce.
Variations:
Add some herbs a few minutes before done.
Add some onion and saute before adding garlic
pinch of chile for spice...

(my own additon) Or why not saute other veggies and throw 'em in (eggplant...)

Salsa canning recipe
, from my archives:

Throw together:
4-5 jalapenos, do not remove seeds
3 green peppers, chopped
8 cups chopped tomatoes, do not remove seeds or skin
6 carrots, chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp salt
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/2-1 cup of vinegar

Also,  as I'm not going to be around next week, and I'm not positive I'll be able to be online.  If so, I will email out the veggie list, but consider this next week's recipe, as I will be quite occupied.  This one is for a simple flatbread for using to make an sort of veggie concoction on top of. 

Oat-Whole Grain Flatbread (from my Mother-in-law, who got it from a Quaker Oats recipe pamphlet from the 60s.)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 veggie oil
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oat flour (just grind up some oats.), or substitute 1/3 cup flour if you don't have
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Combine all the dry ingredients, then add milk and oil.  Knead 10 times.  Bake at 425 for 7 minutes.  Add toppings, bake again until golden, about 10 minutes.  We usually do pizza toppings, either a red sauce or pesto, both are good. 

Lastly, a link from a fellow CSAer, Keren Turner, for yummy zucchini caponata.  Thanks!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home